Sunday, October 17, 2021

True Respite, Rockville MD

 This is my first post about True Respite, but it is our second visit here. 

We came in 2018 or 2019, I've lost track, but I do remember it was right around this time of year. The brewery is a little bit hidden in an office park in a part of Rockville I never go to, so it isn't like somewhere I'd just be dropping by. It is literally something one could miss if not dedicated to driving around the maze of buildings and parking. 

I remember on our first visit we almost gave up trying to find it. Our GPS brought us to the office park, but there were no signs to indicate where the brewery was. We turned left when we should have gone straight and boom - there they were. My recommendation would be that the office park would do some signage, not just for the brewery but for all the other businesses in the complex. 

Once inside, the tasting room is big and open, with the bar at the back and the brewing operations to the right. Ample take away coolers, and a few TVs for the sportsballs or something else to watch. 

They do not have food but plenty of delivery orders were brought it. The office park would do good to have a deli or quick service restaurant somewhere in the maze of businesses. The brewery could partner with them (similar to when we were in Colorado when the restaurant in the strip mall was more than happy to come through every 20 minutes to take orders) and folks would make bank. 

I started with something that I don't often go for, the Nessie's Girl, a wee heavy Scotch Ale. 

It was flavorful and not overwhelmingly sweet or even hot with the higher ABV of 8%. Served in the tulip glass, it is a rich, dark brown, had pretty lace, and does have a toffee taste without being too cloying. 

Doug went with the Rock East District Imperial Red Rye ale (not pictured). He enjoyed it a lot and it was similar to the Surrender (Dorothy) from 7 Locks that I wrote about recently. 

Had a little fun with the sun streaming in, and took this picture of the Nessie's Girl just shimmering in the light. I've had good luck with doing this with a few beers recently. 



Moving on, I got the White Tail Hefeweizen, which was described as having  hints of banana and clove. It was neither clovey or banana-y. Had literally no aroma, but a nice taste to it. It looks like banana, that's for sure. I liked how it looked like a banana milkshake, kind of a unique brew.



 

Doug had The Woods oatmeal stout (not pictured) and said he found it underwhelming. Not a lot of flavor, not everything can be the BEST, right? 

Our last beers were the Lagerhosen for me, the Marzen for Oktoberfest, and it was really nice. Your standard pretty great beer, and usually would have been my starter but I had been adventurous.

The beer was smooth and tasty, and a great way to end our visit.

I love the artwork in the tasting room, I'd really love to get that fox painting.  

Doug's last beer was the Puckered: Tangerine Sky which was pretty much the absolute opposite of the Nessie's Girl I started with. Nice and sour, bright and fun with a delicious fruity flavor. We ended up bringing home Nessie and Puckered for our home enjoyment and to share with the boy. 

We'll actually be back next week. I entered a macaroni and cheese bake-off competition because I'm feeling ready to have some fun and do social things, and why not. I'll be making the famous (infamous!) Buffalo Chicken Mac & Cheese that I learned to make at the cooking school back in the day. 

I had fun talking with the staff (Emily, and sadly I didn't get the name of the young man pulling today) about the competition and what people are making. Emily said she was entering too, and we discussed a shared liking of the powdered cheese in the Kraft realm. I confessed I always make it too soupy even though I try not to. And I recalled how my sister used to work at a Friendly's on Long Island, and they had an epic cheese sauce that they'd pour all over a burger, with bacon, and it was literally my very favorite thing in the universe. 

Not wanting to keep them from waiting on other customers, we got our trays for next Saturday, bought our take away beers, and headed home. 


Very much looking forward to the event next week. Wondering how many people are entering. Allegedly, we should show up with Halloween costumes on, and I'm not sure where my really bad wig is for Linda Belcher, but I may think of something else between now and then.  

I also have never done yoga, but heck, maybe I will! Since it is there, may as well! 

No comments:

Post a Comment