Monday, March 28, 2022

Plant Workshop and Beers Too! - 3 Stars Brewing, Washington DC

I have had a challenging week or so. 

Doug bought me a ticket to a plant workshop at 3 Stars Brewing in DC. 

Of all the local breweries this is one that we have had on our list and have never made it to and we both couldn't believe that it has taken this long for us to drop in.  

We arrived about a half hour before the workshop, so it was beer time. I ordered  the Shuriken Kellerbier, which was pretty great (see left). Doug got the Funkerdome Society #1 2021, which was served in a tiny glass which was probably a good idea. 

The Shuriken was very good, and the Funkerdome was delightfully sour, but I would have loved a bigger glass. It was listed with a 6.7 ABV which isn't that high, but it seemed their policy. 


I headed to the plant workshop and got settled in. Brought a Diamonds are Forever with me and got in a spot of trouble for walking into an area of the brewery that was wide open but not intended for the public. But I managed to get the picture I wanted, as seen below. Diamonds are Forever was a really nice New England Hazy IPA, slightly more bitter than most but that was alright by me. It had great lace as you drank it down, and was a really enjoyable beer.


Apologies extended for going into the restricted area, the workshop began and it was delightful. There was a young boy there who knew a lot about the ecosystem for carnivorous plants and bogs and marshes. The workshop came with a pot and one plant, but I wanted all three so, I basically paid a lot more to get the full setup I envisioned. 

I sat at a table with a couple, and a woman who lives very close to me. We had a lot of fun building our pots and chatting. The instructor was very helpful and I felt like I learned a lot about these carnivorous plants.  

My table neighbors, their beers and plants.


My little Sun Dew, before I accidentally dumped it out into my pot and it got covered up with the 
dirt. I'll clean it up so it gets its dew renewed!

Pitcher plant (can't remember the official name) with my 
Diamonds Are Forever beer.

My finished pot with my Birds of a Feather beer
slightly blurry because it was darker in the taproom than I'd liked, and the focus came out on the mural
which I love. 


3 Star has a lot going on most weekends. There were savory hand pies, smash burgers, and edibles for sale,  jewelry for sale, and a record swap. The taproom is big and spacious, with plenty of seating and really cool wall art featured throughout. The staff pulling beers were all great, very friendly and very busy. There were families, kids, and a lot of activity for the middle of the day. 

The only thing I really was not feeling into was the DJ. For 2pm, the music was kind of excessively loud, a bit much, impossible to have conversations and I left with a headache. It was cool to hear some old school jams though, I just wish it wasn't as loud as it was. 

I'll be heading back to 3 Star for some more plant shenanigans late in April, they host a prop swap, and I'm in the market for some new plants. As a burgeoning plant mom, I am digging the whole community feel they present with events like this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment