Tuesday, January 2, 2024

Last Call for Mad Science Brewing

 Originally posted in the Personal Blog, because I write in there daily and often forget to write in here. But felt I should cross post it as it is an official Beer Related Post. For daily stupid things that I write visit the Personal Blog here.



December 24, 2023
I have been negligent in writing up a review for Mad Science Brewing in the Shenanigans with Dave Beer Blog. I sometimes forget it is there, and it's been over a year since a proper review of a local spot. 

I want to talk about Mad Science Brewing today, though, in the Non-Beer focused blog, because this is important. 

Below is an unflattering picture of me that Doug took of my Sawbelly Brewing shirt, because it speaks volumes to all that our beer hunting adventures lead to. It was also hot AF this day in 2022. 


Back in 2022 (according to Untappd) we had been looking for breweries further out from where we live, having hit so many locals over and over again down here in South Montgomery County and the DC area. We wanted to spread our wings, stretch our legs, but not go too far afield so we could enjoy some beers and make it home safe. 


We made a trip up to Adamstown, Frederick County. It's about an hour from us, but well worth the trip. Small batch brewing, a few beers on tap in a tasting room at the back side of a lovely farm stand. 

First time we were there it was hot hot hot Maryland farm summer hot. A live band was playing, and we sat outside sweating our asses off enjoying beer after beer. The brewer, Brian Roberts, was on the taps and fun to talk to. I knew right then I should write this visit up. 

Brian's got a full time job as a for-real scientist, so building a hobby of brewing into a fantastic offerings at their own location was a brilliant move. We enjoyed coming and sitting in the tasting room and chatting with Brian about the craft, and the post-apocalyptic milieu that the can art and names all had compared to the bright and sunny, Live Laugh Love style offerings in the farm store. 

We went up there two weeks ago, Doug and I were wanting a taste before they closed for the season right before Christmas, and he needed some gifts for his yankee swap and a baby shower at work. A win-win. 

We got a couple pints and sat outside, it's easy to do in December around here. We toasted Carrie for her birthday and watched the sun set over the farm fields across the street. All 3 of us had the Special Relativity, Marzen (Oktoberfest) and it was delightful. We did our shopping, got the gifts Doug needed, and we picked up some poinsettias (since we don't put up a big tree we still want to have SOME festive live plants and color), freshly baked bread, and apples.

We chatted with Brian during this visit after reading some not so good news on their Facebook page. Brian had cancer a few years back and things were looking good, but, he'd recently he learned that the cancer was back and he was undergoing regular treatments. He looked great for someone who was aggressively fighting a demon inside his body. 

I told him we'd probably be back again before the end of season on December 22nd and heck, if not, let's look forward to the spring. 

Then they announced there would be no spring. 

Brian's cancer has not been responding to treatment and has spread. So they decided to do a whole huge blowout end of year, end of business, celebration. 

The local news outlets picked up the story, and we knew a lot of people would be there. Video below.


But we couldn't not go. Ya know? We had to go and support. 

We got there around 2pm because we couldn't get out of our own way all day. We opted to avoid 270 and take the back roads, the Scenic Route if you will. Ironically since in this article his wife Louisa says they're hoping to take the scenic route to Heaven's Gate together through the next few months. It's a beautiful ride up through Montgomery County into Frederick, even in late December with everything brown and sleeping, waiting for spring. Big beautiful homes through Boyds, Urbana, and towns we've actually never been in. Sugarloaf Mountain looming to the right, I knew where we were but everything was a little different and mysterious on the way up until we crossed the little bridge over the Monocacy, and hit Buckeyestown Pike for the homestretch.

The line from the bar to the end and victory was through the entire farm stand and not moving very quickly. Doug and the dog waited outside, and Geoff and I took up our place in line. People started peeling off, not wanting to wait, and we rejoiced inside a little bit. Two people closer to the crowlers. Yesssss.


It took two hours to get to the bar, and I'll be honest, I was ready to go after an hour. But no. This was for Brian, to help deplete the inventory, and help them go out with a huge bang and celebration. 

We got to the bar, finally, and I talked to Brian's youngest, who was there every single time we ever visited. I always commented on how fun their new hair color was (I thought about asking for a picture but wasn't sure they wanted to do that because it was so busy). Two weeks ago we talked about how they were going to go purple very soon, and they indeed did. Someone mentioned "you should do green and red for Christmas," and they disagreed - Christmas will be over and they'd have green and red hair. No thanks. 

I also got to pat the brewery dog Sinnamon, spelled that way and not a mistake, and she seemed a little overwhelmed and huddling under the table. There were so many people in her space, where she would always come visit you if you had a snack or one of the dishes from the food trucks. I love this dog. Always the welcoming committee, good for tail wags and pats. 

I got Brian's attention after he hefted in another keg since they were going through so many, and told him that I'd never ever wait this long for anyone, except him. He laughed. I asked one of his other sons "Is there a limit to how much I can buy?" and he laughed as well, and said "uh, no?" Giving me permission to get as much as I could carry. I had a fairly large tote bag.

We got 9 crowlers, one each of the three brews they had left, Helles Bells, Special Relativity, and Newton's First. 

A guy behind me said "you're a fan, eh?" and I nodded. Yes. If I could carry more, and not look like a damn pig, I would. I was amazed by how many people stood in line for One Crowler. He asked which one he should get, and said he likes Oktoberfest style beers so I pointed to the Marzen and said "get more than one. You'll want it."

Geoff and I also each ordered a pint of Helles, after all, we were thirsty after the long wait. We settled up and bagged up our haul and got out of the way. We stood outside to enjoy our beer, and  I thought a bit before telling Geoff to hold up. I ran back in and asked Brian for a selfie. 

I have no idea when I'll see this man again. My hope is the Valentines Day opening that they usually do will happen. We'll see. We'll see. In the meantime. 


This is fucking tragic. 

I honestly am shook just thinking about how this could befall another human, another wife, another family. And a wonderful business. I think about all the not so good or "meh" breweries out there in the DMV, and of the magic that this Mad Scientist has whipped up for us all. I think about how I went to a very popular brewery in our county, had a not very good experience and tweeted about it, and the owner went for my throat and told me I was welcome to "never fucking come back." How they are still in business, and growing and thriving is mysterious to me. The beer is mediocre, the food was horrible, the service was dismissive and unfriendly. 

And then we find a place like Mad Science and they're just the complete opposite. Absolutely the best of the craft, kind and friendly brewer who runs the whole place himself with a smile and lots of time to talk about the brews. 

When our friends M&M moved here we knew this had to be the place to take them because Mike is a scientist too. He knows the craft, he brews beer himself, and he reverse engineers different brews to get the mix for himself at home. I knew they'd hit it off and they did. 

This is a loss. Such a loss for the entire brewing community. Everyone who waited in line knows they got a little bit of magic in a big ass can. And I treasure every drop I walked away with. 

Brian, you're a gem.  I remember shaking your hand at our first visit and thinking to myself "hell yeah, I'm writing this one up." And then I didn't. 

So my review is that you caught lightning in a bottle, screamed "IT'S ALIVE!!!!" and shared your delicious creations with anyone and everyone willing to travel near and far to imbibe and we are forever changed for you being here. You are loved. Enjoy the time you have, do all the good wonderful things, be strong and courageous. 

Thank you, very much, for what you gave us and for the short period of time our orbits aligned. May the scenic road be beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment