Sunday, July 31, 2011

Clown Shoes and Beer Labels: What Sells? What Repells?

Last night at the Brewfest, I spent a few minutes talking with one of the representatives from Clown Shoes Brewing Company. I had recently read several articles about controversy surrounding their bottle labels, specifically Lubrication, Brown Angel and Tramp Stamp. 

My thoughts as we were sampling these really tasty beers were that a company, if it was to make really good, quality, wonderful beers, can serve their brew in plain labeled bottles. The "need" to grab attention by putting up labels that piss buyers off either by being overtly sexy, possibly dirty, isn't necessary.

Yes, the craft brewing market is a tight one. Breaking out and getting a name is hard. It is an age old argument -- "Bad publicity is still publicity..." and it seems that Clown Shoes has chosen the route of  let's get people talking about us so they're curious, and get them in that way, instead of let's brew beer that blows their floppy footwear right off their big assed feet. 

Personally, the label on Lubrication doesn't offend me the way it does others.

I see the gas station attendant robot/oil can man as the creative team intended it -- an old school 1950s kind of style gas jockey with a gas pump handle in his hand, NOT a "dong." I'm more put off by the Tramp Stamp and the Brown Angel (the angel with those creepy assed clown shoes on is enough to give me nightmares. I don't care that her boobs and ass are showing). Sex sells to guys, and that's their audience. In the end, if I were buying just by labels here, the Clementine would suit me fine.

And this further reinforced WHY I prefer beer on draught at a restaurant. I do not CARE what your label has on it. I want to know what your beer tastes like.

There are dozens of articles out there if you want to read them, just google Clown Shoes Label Controversy (and you can even spell Controversey wrong and get some good articles) if you want to research it further.

Just my two cents in the world of beer shenanigans.

No comments:

Post a Comment