Friday, September 23, 2011

A Midweek Shenanigans Trip Back to the Grill Next Door

On Wednesday night, Tree asked me to take Dave out for dinner and get him out of the house. It was an errands day, and he likes to get out on Wednesday nights. So my husband joined us for a trip to the Grill Next Door in Haverhill. As you may recall, we were there earlier in September, and when Doug sat and read the beer menu he said "No wonder you guys like this place!"

I got my card and Dave's out of the bin, and started a fresh one for Doug.

We got their obscenely huge chili cheese fries for an appetizer and a shrimp cocktail, and poured over the beer list. Doug started with a Founders Red Rye, which was delicous, I got the Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA and Dave floundered about for a while until he landed at the Brooklyn Post Road Pumpkin.

Now, I've pretty much decided for myself that I'm not having any more pumpkin beers. Dave however, forgets that he doesn't like them and then orders them. Sometimes I remind him and he gets a sample, and then hates it. I didn't stop him on his choice of the Post Road Pumpkin. He did hate it. Next, he went to the Avery Ellie's Brown Ale and that redeemed the universe for him.

The Bear Republic racer was more like a Cream Ale than I was expecting. I didn't get any "citrus" notes, it was tasty but I don't know that I will go back. Doug liked the Founder's Red Rye, and we all agreed it had a lovely flavor. 

Doug had the Monk's Cafe Flemish Sour next. Anything that has "sour" in the title or an ABV over 8% are things I normally avoid. Sour because ... well, I don't like sour things usually. And I'm the Driver so ABVs for me should be in the 5-6 range for me to comfortably have more than one beer. Well, the Flemish Sour was simply delicious. It was almost like plum juice (note, not PRUNE juice because that has super negative connotations when you think about it). Served in a little glass, it was just simply delicious, with the perfect kind of sweet sour. I am rethinking my views on sours...

For dinner, I ordered the Mac and Cheese with Buffalo Chicken. I am kind of obsessed with this dish. I have a great recipe for it, that I make at home, and whenever I see it on a menu, I have got to try their version. The waitress warned me "It's Hot.' And I said "It'd better be."

It was fantastic, and I got a nice Allagash White to go with it. Something crisp and refreshing that would take care of that heat on the mouth from the Mac and Cheese.

So far, of all the places I've tried a Mac and Cheese with Buffalo Chicken, this has to be the best. Super awesome, and I can't wait to go get more. Yum.

Doug had a fried haddock sandwich, and liked it a lot.

He then ordered something unexpected. He decided to try the Moonlight Meadery mead. He told me that I wouldn't like it-- that I would think it tasted like cough medicine.

Most of the time this is true. Hard, straight alcohol like Makers Mark or Southern Comfort, Whiskeys and Bourbons and the like all taste like Nyquil to me. Which is why I stick to beer and wine in my happy little world.

I wanted to at least taste it and decide for myself.

It didn't taste like cough medicine at all. It was honey and appley and delicious, thick on the tongue, and I immediately thought of Tolkein and Middle Earth and Game of Thrones and other such things. It was perfectly delicious. Doug was surprised that I liked it. Dave liked it too, but not enough to get a glass. I will be looking into finding some for a nice cold night here in the woodstove room, wondering if this is good to heat up just a tad to help edge off the cold of winter.

My final beer of the night was the Spatan Oktoberfest, an official Marzen beer from Germany. Dave had the BBC Oktoberfest, which is Marzen style. Click here to learn more about Marzen and Marzen style beers.

Dave wound up with the Young's Double Chocolate Stout, which was black as night and thick and hearty. We had fun with the glass, making note of where the pint and half pint lines were "Who would even WANT a half pint of this!" Dave exclaimed.

 Dave thought he may want a pumpkin beer, even though I told him that he would hate it. He got a sample of the Southern Tier Pumpking, and as I pretty much predicted, hated it.

I think the next several weeks will be spent with me reminding him repeatedly that the only Pumpkin beers he's liked at all this year were Shipyard's and Wachusett's. He feels like they're all trying too hard, and if he wanted pie, he'd order pie.


We ended up pretty much closing the place, watching the Red Sox blow their lead. It was another lovely beer experience at the Grill, and extra fun to have Dave and Doug sharing and talking about their likes in brews.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see you found Moonlight's products. Some very fun and tasty drinks there. I live 3 miles away so stopping in to get some is a frequent diversion!

    Jason

    ReplyDelete