Sunday, June 5, 2022

Entry 1: New Orleans 2022, Brieux Carré on a hot hot day

 Entry 1 in a series on New Orleans

Doug and I went on vacation to New Orleans to celebrate our 31st Wedding Anniversary. Beer Culture in New Orleans is pretty great. Last time we were there we only managed to get to one actual brewery at the Parleaux Beer Lab but enjoyed pints around town. 

This time, we enjoyed a few in person breweries, and also had pints around town. 

It's a blur, and I really need to start taking actual notes because ... well, beer. 

Here is where we went, and with the help of my camera and Untappd, let's unpack the brews. First Stop! 

Brieux Carré, Decatur & Frenchman
Located in a tiny doorfront on Decatur Street off Frenchman, there is a sweet little nano-brewery with a really nice patio. We checked into our hotel, had some lunch, and walked over on this blazing hot afternoon. 

Entering the brewery, the bar is on your right, tanks out behind, and a pathway out to the patio lies before you. There were only a couple people out back when we got there. As mentioned, it was brutally hot to this Mid-Atlantic gal, but we managed to snag a seat in the covered area of the patio by the one working fan and watched dozens of people flow back. 

Let me tell you, we hogged the shit out of that corner while sitting on high stools and using the big barrels as tables. I felt bad for others, looking for a breeze or respite. But without that fan, I wasn't staying. Thanks for having it there! 

I started with a Malcolm in the Mittlefruh, which I crushed in moments. My Untappd note is that it was a long walk but worth the trip. No real comment left on the beer, but as I recall it was perfect and refreshing after the stroll. Mind you, it was only a mile but... I'm delicate. Malcolm pictured below.

Doug started with (and I also ended up getting one for myself before we left) Moving to the City, Gonna Eat a Moderate Amount of Apricots. Duly noted at this point is the fun naming conventions Brieux Carré uses for their beers. This was a tremendously delicious sour, very fruity, and wonderful. The title indicates a "moderate" amount of apricots but no. This is a humongous amount of apricot flavor, and we both greatly enjoyed. 

It's hard to sing Presidents of the United States of America's "Peaches" with all the extra words mixed in to the title, but we did. 

Here's the Apricot:


Sticking with the fruities, we went to Ooh, Berry, I Like It Straw. It looked lovely and kind of thick and hazy. I was hoping the strawberry mash would kick me in the face as good as the apricot one, but it wasn't nearly as flavorful. 

I don't remember what other beer Doug got for round 2, but I for sure went to the apricots before we left. Again, I need to get better at this, take notes, and really check in correctly on Untappd so I can track everything. 

Here's the Ooh, Berry. I should have taken this in the sunshine instead of under the umbrella. Colors got muted and messed up as a result.

Doug got a T-shirt (his new thing is brewery shirts, I've noticed). We paid up, thanked the beertender who was rocking the place solo, and wandered off to enjoy Frenchman Street. 

Thanks Brieux Carré for a lovely visit. We'll be back next time we're in town.

No comments:

Post a Comment