Sunday, June 5, 2022

Entry 3: New Orleans 2022, d.b.a. and Spotted Cat

Entry 3 in a series on New Orleans

On Sunday, after the Avenue Pub, we took a really long walk towards the Lower Garden District and Irish Channel. It was hot. We didn't stop anywhere along the way, even though there were plenty of good opportunities and if we didn't have to be somewhere by 5pm, we would have dipped down to Urban South or NOLA brewing or the others that are in the area. Next time, for sure!

Doug wanted to see the Palmetto Bug Stompers at d.b.a. so we Ubered over and got there before anyone else was there.

 Most of the time I wouldn't write specifically about a bar but I felt like our experience here was worth mentioning. 

We sidled up to the bar, and ordered a few things.

Doug ordered a DAT'SUMA IPA from Faubourg Brewing, and I got a High Noon Seltzer Peach (I do believe I had one at the Avenue too, but it's not beer so I didn't write it up). 

But, I will say the High Noon Seltzer is probably the best hard seltzer I've had.

Truly and White Claw are super gross in comparison and I can't believe people would pick that over High Noon if there's an option. High Noon is doing next level deliciousness, and the Peach is the best of them all (I had the Watermelon and Grapefruit too).  Do yourself a favor, if you see High Noon, get it instead.

The DAT'SUMA IPA was really good, very fruity, orange forward, flavorful. The taps were wonderfully cold, and we started having a wonderful conversation with the bartenders about craft brewing in New Orleans. Julie was wearing an Urban South shirt, so we asked about it and what her other favorite spots were. She noted we were there to see the band, and that we should go over to Zony Mash Beer Project on Tuesday for the Rebirth Brass Band and enjoy that. Tickets required, but worth the go. 


We noted that, enjoyed the band for three hours, and had more beers and seltzers. I didn't keep track, we were just in the moment, enjoying the folks at the bar, sampling shots of 21 Seeds Cucumber Jalapeño Tequila, which smelled like cucumber and bit like jalapeño. It wasn't bad, but I am not sure I'd get it for margarita making. 

Doug ended his night with a long time favorite, the Frambois by Brouwerij Lindemans. So delicious, wonderful, fruity, amazing. One of the best Lambics on the planet. And seeing as we didn't dive into any of the Boon offerings at the Avenue Pub, this was a good choice. 

d.b.a. doesn't serve food, and it was now late, and of course we were hungry. We missed our chance to grab a bahn mi from the market next door (again, on Julie's recommendation) so when the show ended we tried to grab something at Dat Dog. The balcony was closed, and the line was out the door so we walked across the street to Willie's Chicken Shack. We destroyed several pieces of chicken, and got daiquiris to go. I ended up with  brain freeze so vicious I had to hand mine over to Doug. It was horrible. And heartbreaking cause I kinda wanted the damn thing. Oh well.  

I'm grouping our d.b.a. visit with another stop a day or so later at the Spotted Cat Music Club. We found ourselves on Frenchman again, and it was the middle of the day. Not a lot was open over there yet, but we heard music coming from inside and decided to check it out. There was a trio playing, apologizing that their bass player wasn't there yet. But they were making due with the guitar, fiddle, and saxophone and it was wonderful to hear. 

We sat at the bar and I noticed they had two options from Zony Mash, where we'd be headed that very night. 

I had their seltzer, the Zony Pop Satsuma. It wasn't as good as High Noon but they're making it in bulk for national distribution and Zony Mash is a local brewery so their batches are smaller. It had a good flavor, and I'd have it again. 

I then tried their Be Present sour, which was super sour and fruity. Delicious.

 


Julie had mentioned that Zony Mash was doing some great work in the sours, and she wasn't kidding.  Trust the local bartender with the local craft beer t-shirt on. Always. We didn't stick around too long, and I got my head start on the Zony Mash Experience with these two tastes!

No comments:

Post a Comment